Tuesday, April 3, 2012

quitting sugar. progress ;)


We have a love/hate relationship.  I love it... it hates my body.  I have an undeniable sweet tooth.  I have been trying for as long as I can remember to try to somewhat overcome it.  I know I'll never be able to fully give up my sweet treats.  But they should only be a weekly occurence, not daily.  I set it as one of my New Year's Resolutions, but that didn't help much.  However, two things brought the sugar problem to my attention recently.



And this app.
The blog is written by a lady who literally had to give up sugar.  It was wrecking her body to the point where she got an autoimmune disease.  The funny thing?  She never really had those unhealthy sweet treats.  She ate hefty amounts of what we call "good sugars."  I strongly encourage you to read up on what she has to say about these good sugars... it really opened my eyes to a lot of things.  The app brought to my attention how much sugar I was really consuming in a day.  The app recommends that I have about 30 grams of sugar per day.  I was eating nearly 80 grams per day.  That's almost TRIPLE, y'all.  I kinda freaked out.  In the meantime, I wasn't feeling better even though I had cut down on my caloric intake and I was bloated nearly every single morning.  Which really makes a person feel miserable.  Cutting down on sugar was the only logical option left for me to do in order to feel better... and even though I really didn't want to, I did.  And I have for several weeks now.  Basically all I've changed are my breakfast choices and exchanging veggies for fruits.

Old Breakfast
Apple Juice -- 6 grams
Yoplait Light Yogurt (Bostom Cream Pie) -- 15 grams

Old Afternoon Snack
Apple (medium) -- 10 grams

That totals up to 31 grams of sugar.  So pretty much, I could eat those 3 things and no other sugar each day.  That's impossible, for real. 

Here's my new menu:
Breakfast
Apple Juice -- 6 grams
Don't judge.  This stuff is equivalent to my coffee.
1 cup of dry Cheerios -- 1 gram

Afternoon Snack
1 cup of carrots -- 5 grams
1 tablespoon of Light Ranch Dressing -- 1 gram

That totals up to 12 grams.  With those simple changes, I cut my sugar intake in half.  In addition, I have also exchanged my animal cookies with Wheat Thins at lunch time... saving me 4 grams of sugar.

This is not hard, people.  You just have to be very cautious of what you put in your mouth and read the labels!  The results?  My clothes fit better, I feel great, and no more bloating each morning.  Oh yeah, and no more headaches. 

I'm not saying you can never splurge either.  In fact, I had some Oreos and milk over the weekend.  You just have to use moderation!  This is still a work in progress for me, but I hope it helps you become more cautious of your eating choices.  Comment if you have any questions... I'd love to hear them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

whatcha lookin' for?